Public Speaking Can Be Fun

Free Public speaking skills tips, techniques, and advice by presentation skills expert Jacki Rose, Top Performance. Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/PresentwithPEP

Monday, June 15, 2009

You Need to Get a Life

When I returned from my bike trip I joined Toastmasters (public speaking skills). I went to my first conference and saw that a small number of people were receiving a very prestigious award called the DTM – Distinguished Toastmaster Award. As the awards were given out, it was explained to the rest of us what it takes to achieve a DTM. They kept listing accomplishments after accomplishments of speeches, officer roles, and public speaking projects that you need to achieve. It sounded to me that to accomplish this you will not have any time for anything else. I leaned over to my friend and whispered, “These people need to get a life.” About 5 years later, I achieved my DTM. And yes, I do have a life. I just couldn’t imagine being able to do all of those things, but as I got more into Toastmasters I found myself taking on challenges one at a time. Before I knew it, I was achieving my DTM. It wasn’t even anything I was striving for. If you take one challenge at a time it will lead you to great accomplishments with your presentations. Take one speech at a time, do it the very best you can, and the next one will be even better. The key is to take on every speaking opportunity you can, but do it one speech at a time and before you know it, you will accomplish something you never imagined.

Free PUBLIC SPEAKING SKILLS tips: www.publicspeakingskillscoach.com
 
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/PresentwithPEP