Public Speaking Can Be Fun

Free Public speaking skills tips, techniques, and advice by presentation skills expert Jacki Rose, Top Performance. Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/PresentwithPEP

Monday, March 26, 2007

Remember Taylor, Katharine, & Elliott?

If you watched American Idol 2006, then you have heard of Taylor Hicks, Katharine McPhee, and Elliott Yamin. I was recently watching my DVD recordings of last year's competition when it was down to these last three. Simon said something to Katharine that I thought was so great I just needed to add it to my blog. Oh, and by the way, I'm one of those people who agree with Simon a lot of the time.

Each contestant presented 3 songs. After Katharine's last song, Simon said to her, "You should have had your second song be your last song, because that was your very best and that's what people would have remembered."

In other words, he said what I say in my public speaking skills training programs. You must have a powerful close/ending because that's what your audience will remember the most!

Taylor Hicks did do that. His final song was awesome, he stole the show and he ended on a very high note (no pun intended).

As for Elliott, I'm sorry, but I fast forwarded over his songs. I wasn't a real fan, even though he was really good.

For those of you who don't follow American Idol, Taylor Hicks won! He became the 2006 American Idol and he now has a fabulous career touring the country performing. I hear he is going to be in Boston this week!

More tips
 
Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/PresentwithPEP